Inspired by Steamy Kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons oyster or hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1 1/2 cups diced water chestnuts
- 1 head iceberg, butterhead or Boston bibb lettuce, leaves separated into “cups”
- 2 medium carrots, julienned or peeled and cut into super, super thin strands
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat wok on high heat with cooking oil. Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Fry a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add ground meat and fry until almost cooked through.
- Add water chestnuts and cook 1 minute.
- Add sauce ingredients. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Drain juices.
- Spoon the filling in equal amounts into crisp, cold lettuce cups. Top each lettuce cup with carrot shavings.
Serve with extra Sriracha.
If you don’t have a kitchen gadget to make thin strands out of your carrots, use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrots into paper thin strips. Then use a knife to further cut the strips into thin strands.
If you don’t have or like water chestnuts, replace them with half a green apple, finely diced–but don’t cook the apples, just add them in at the end of step 5, toss to coat, and immediately remove from heat.
Not enough veggies for you? Add some diced bell peppers, peas, whathaveyou in step 4.
Vegetarian? Use tofu or rice instead of the ground meat.